Traveler 9/Apple issue – “mails from other people appear to come from me”

An issue was reported by multiple users on a customer site recently.   Since a Traveler 9.0.1 upgrade :- mails coming into user’s inbox that are from external Internet senders are showing up in the “who” column as being from the recipient’s name rather than the sender. This is only for some mails though, not all.

The first steps taken were checking the SMTP headers to see had the message been modified by the mail gateway (McAfee).  Everything looked normal.  Checked the Domino logs, nothing unusual there.

Eventually we figured out, the common linkage was that the messages effected were last modified by the Traveler server.  The issue affected Traveler 9 users (who are all Apple iPhone/iPad users on this site) setting follow up flags from their devices.  Once a follow up flag is set on an external sender mail, then the “Who” column displays the person who received the mail rather than the sender in the Notes client (It remains fine on the iPhone/iPad however).

After opening a PMR with IBM, they  didn’t offer an immediate solution but started using the term “principal” field and have escalated to development (at the time of this writing we are still waiting to hear back) we managed to search online ourselves and find this -

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1LO77840

I have to say the title “SET AS FOLLOW UP MAY SET PRINCIPAL TO RECIPIENT” isn’t intatuively understood, but when we read :-

“If user flags a mail for follow up on a Mobile device and the message does not have the standard Principal field, Notes Traveler will mistakenly set the user as principal instead of the sender. This problem is only seen with the 9.0.1 Gold release.”

We understood the issue was exactly the same as ours, though it wasn’t exactly easy to find.  The issue is fixed in 9.0.1 IFI 1.  We’ve installed 9.0.1 IFI2 and the issue was resolved. Implementing the fix does not change back mails that were previously “changed” by the Traveler server.

Quite a simple fix, but even IBM’s own support couldn’t tell us the documented fix!

Another example of the good practice of ensuring that your Traveler server has the latest fix packs and interim fixes applied.

Hope this helps someone else out!  Let us know if it does.

Cormac McCarthy – Domino People Ltd

This entry was posted in Fix Pack, IBM Domino 9, IBM Notes Traveler, IBM Notes Traveler 9, IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT, iPhone, Lotus Traveler, Traveler 9, Traveler 9.0. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>