On my blog last week recapping Engage, I mentioned the Early Access Program for Danube (Domino 12.0.2).
This is quite unusual how early for a release of this type in that usually there will be some form of closed early access program ahead of a public beta. What this shows us is that HCL are confident in the release, but also completely transparent about where the code base is(or was two weeks ago when this was released).
It’s important therefore you know what is and isn’t in this specific release (as opposed to the final release of Danube). I’ve also included links for resources on same.
What’s in this drop:
- Virus scanning for message attachments This is one I wasn’t expecting in Danube. Ulrich Krause has done an exceptionally brilliant practical guide on how to set this up with Open Source Tools.
If you look at the breath of different security features already included in Domino 12, this iteratively improves on this with more secure options/protocols/versions, and better ease of use. There’s 6 new security features in this drop alone.
- Snapshot backups with Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) writer I think this is one of the main points on this release. If you’re on a site where someone has been asking for snapshot backups for Domino with VSS this is a particular opportunity for you to test, and lead and shape how this solution is implemented. (yes really – this is why this is being released so early and is the beauty behind a public beta). Even more details for those interested are here.
Administration Quick enhancements
- This is another one where Ulrich Krause has done a great intro piece.
Traveler – rich text Improvements.
There’s more to categorize under miscellaneous improvements:
- New version of CKEditor for XPages
- Command to zip diagnostic files in the IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT directory
There are no clients released in this drop.
There’s executables available for Windows and Linux for Domino and Traveler.
There will be 4 more drops of a similar type. Coming over the course of the next few weeks so have a look and get involved! You can provide feedback in the beta forum
Cormac McCarthy – Domino People Ltd